Are you thinking of buying an invisible fence to keep your dog safe? The last thing you want is for your dog to escape from your yard and potentially harm themselves, someone else, or another pet. Keeping your dog securely in the bounds of a wireless or electric fence is an excellent idea.
However, it’s always a good idea to look before you leap. There are a lot of shady operations out there that will gladly take your money in return for a dangerously inferior product. Luckily, you’ve come to the right place. Here at This Electric Home, we’ve done the research for you in order to arrive at a series of electric and wireless dog fences that you can trust for quality and cost-efficiency. Let’s get started on our list of top dog fence buys.
Best Invisible Dog Fences of 2020
Without further ado, these are the electric and wireless dog fences that made our list of personal favorites. These models are, safe, easy to install and operate, and easy on your wallet. We’ve broken the list down so that you can easily follow it.
Best Wireless Dog Fence: PetSafe Stay & Play
Our choice for the very best wireless dog fence is the brand new PetSafe Stay & Play Containment System. Pound for pound, this system gives you the most extensive and reliable protection for your favorite four-legged friend. We didn’t choose this model lightly. We took into account a wide variety of factors, including cost, territory covered, safety, and ease of operation. This is the model that took home the gold.
There are many reasons why some folks prefer a wireless fence. The main reason is that there is hardly any assembly required. Set up the indoor transmitter in your home and put down the boundary flags. Attach the waterproof collar to your dog and you’re done. As long as you keep the settings appropriate and make sure your dog does know their boundaries, a wireless dog fence is bound to satisfy your security needs.
- All parts included
- Fully illustrated instruction manual makes set up a breeze
- Brightly colored flags clearly mark your dog’s personal boundaries
- Indoor monitor will alert you when power is low or there is a malfunction
- Product comes with a full warranty of guaranteed quality direct from the manufacturer
- Total dimensions are 12 x 11.9 x 10 inches
- Total weight is 6.17 pounds with a shipping weight of 6.3 pounds
- 1 Lithium ion batteries required (included in the package)
The premier advantage of having a wireless dog fence is right there in the name. It’s invisible, with no wires that you will need to bury deep enough to prevent your dog from digging up. Another major advantage is that, for a minimum of effort and expense, you get 3/4 of an acre coverage. This is more than you usually get with any other type of fence. There’s also the ease of simply turning the monitor on to activate it.
Dog owners have long been searching for the next level of security. Wireless fences have been tested for safety all throughout the world and have been proven to be effective and efficient. The new PetSafe Stay & Play Containment System has been highly rated by industry experts and dog owners alike. For these reasons and more, we will gladly give it the title of our favorite wireless dog fence. For more information, make sure to read all of our PetSafe invisible fence reviews.
Best Electric: Extreme Dog Fence Professional Grade
Of course, there are plenty of other types of dog fences that you can easily buy. This includes the standard electric dog fence. Our research has determined that the best electric dog fence is the Extreme Dog Fence Professional Grade. There is something to be said for being able to roll out an electric dog fence in whatever size, shape, or style that you desire. Some buyers also prefer the option of setting actual physical parameters for their dog.
You will need to be very careful when selecting the actual dog fence that you wish to buy for your dog. There are certain safety considerations that will need to be taken into account for you, your dog, and for anyone who comes into your yard. Of all of the electric fences on this list, we believe that the Extreme Dog Fence Professional Grade model offers the most effective protection while giving you the best safety guarantee.
- Extremely water-resistant – can withstand flooding of up to 10 feet
- 3 separate antennas
- Wire monitoring device
- Temperature monitoring device
- 12x battery monitoring device
- Coverage of up to 5 acres
- Rechargeable collar battery
- Basic fence comes with 1 correction level, model can be upgraded to gain more
- 20 gauge boundary wire
- 1 year guaranteed coverage
One of the most attractive features of the new Extreme Dog Fence Professional Grade electric dog fence is its resistance to water. As noted above, this fence can be fully submerged in water at a level of up to 10 feet, yet will still function normally. There is also the fact that this fence is fully upgradeable. You can start with the basic model or choose from a number of other “deluxe” models that are available.
The Extreme Dog Fence Professional Grade comes with everything you need to get set up in a hurry. All of the included components are covered by a 1-year full protection warranty that comes directly from the maker. After you have registered your fence, this warranty will extend to 10 years. This gives you an excellent amount of coverage for an electric dog fence model that is guaranteed to pay for itself very quickly. If you’re interested in learning more, head over to our full selection of Extreme Dog Fence reviews.
SportDOG Underground Wire Electric Fence
The SportDOG Underground Wire Electric Fence is a great model for first-timers who are new to the concept of keeping your dog within bounds using electronic means. This fence can cover an area of up to 100 acres. Its ability to withstand flooding is well documented. The ease with which it can be assembled and turned on is very remarkable. For these reasons and more, this is a unit that ranks very near the top of our list.
The unit comes with a full warranty of guaranteed quality from the maker. The included monitor-transmitter will quickly inform you of any irregularities. Meanwhile, the unit itself is easy to quickly and securely bury. It also comes with an inbuilt Lightning Protector and four different warning levels to keep your dog securely within the boundaries that you have set for them. All in all, this is an excellent purchase, and you can learn more about it by reading our extended SportDOG Invisible Fence review.
- Comes with all parts included and a full instructional manual for easy assembly
- Comes with a full warranty direct from the manufacturer
- Collar gives tone and vibration warnings, then moves to 1 of 4 correction pre-sets
- Trasnmitter features an inbuilt Lightning Protector
- Waterproof collar includes 9-volt battery with a life of up to 6-12 months, depending on frequency of use
- Unit can be a bit pricy, especially compared to some of the other models on this list
- Unit does need to be buried rather deep to avoid issues with your dog digging it up
- 100 Acres (Kit includes enough to contain 1 1/3 acre)
- Tone, vibration, and 4 levels of static stimulation
- Included collar is fully water and lightning proof
FOCUSER Electric Wireless Fence for Dogs
If you’re ready for a new electric wireless fence model that is quite a bit more affordable than most, the new FOCUSER Electric Wireless Fence for Dogs should be right up your alley. True to its name, this unit is designed to keep your dogs safely contained within a sharply focused radius of 25 to up to 500 meters. It does its job safely and very quietly thanks to an included monitor that attaches to an inside wall.
The FOCUSER Electric Wireless Fence for Dogs comes with a wide range of included options. This includes a water and shock-proof collar that fits dogs of between 10 and 110 pounds with a neck of between 8 and 21 inches. The collar has been tested to ensure that your dog can play in wet grass, in the sprinkler system, or even in a rainstorm with no ill effects. This is an affordable and highly worthy fence system.
- Industry tested lightning and shock proof collar
- Radius of up to 500 meters
- Collar can fit dogs of the smallest up to the very largest breeds
- No need for included wires as the entire system is digital
- Waterproof collar does require initial charge of up to 4 hours and periodic recharging
- First lithium ion battery is included but you will need to buy them separately afterward
- Product dimensions are 11 x 7 x 2 inches
- Very lightweight at 1.1 pounds
- 1 Lithium ion batteries required (the 1st is included)
PetSafe Wireless Dog and Cat Containment System
Would you like to try out a wireless fence that can contain both dogs and cats? Cats, of course, are notorious neighborhood explorers. This can sometimes lead to all sorts of unfortunate results. But the new PetSafe Wireless Dog and Cat Containment System has been specially designed to keep even these noble roamers safely within the bounds of your back yard. It’s a tried and true model that has been recently upgraded.
Naturally, the PetSafe model is also designed to keep dogs just as safe within its range as cats. It covers a circular area of up to a half acre, meaning 180 feet in diameter. Meanwhile, it also features a very generous total of 5 adjustable levels of correction plus a special beep only mode. The collar can be worn by either dogs or cats. It goes without saying that the system itself is totally digital and wireless.
- No wire to bury or get unearthed by your pet
- Covers an area of up to 180 square feet in diameter
- Area covered by the unit is completely spherical in area
- Warning flags to demarcate area are a bit flimsy and may need to be replaced
- Unit is a bit pricier than some comparable models
- Transmitter with power adaptor
- Comes with rechargeable PetSafe RFA-67 battery
- Waterproof adjustable collar
- Contact points for both short haired and long haired points
- Full one year warranty of quality
Extreme Dog Fence Standard Grade
The new Extreme Dog Fence Standard Grade model has now been upgraded to its Second Generation level. This means that the unit contains all of its previous standard features, albeit at a whole new level of consistency and quality. The unit has been fully reconfigured to give pet owners an even higher and wider level of security. As a result, this is a unit that more than justifies its somewhat high price tag.
One of the most attractive features of this new unit is its resistance to water. While it’s never a good idea to intentionally submerge any dog fence in water, this new unit can withstand heavy rainstorms or flooding of up to 10 feet. This means that if your dog is actually caught outside during such an event, they will be able to emerge safely from the experience. The collar is shock proof to a completely new degree.
- Electronic components have been updated to include new collar options, 3 antennas, and a 12x battery check
- Completely waterproof and submersible
- 20 gauge high tensile boundary wire with a heavy protective jacket
- This unit is a bit on the pricy side
- Comes in several configurations so you will need to specify which one you are ordering
- Extremely light shipping weight of 5.9 pounds
- 1 Lithium ion battery will be required
- Comes with included temp check and wire check
WIEZ Wireless Dog Fence
The new WIEZ Wireless Dog Fence is a unit that can boast the latest and most advanced use of 2.4G frequency technology. This is the digital base that consistently provides a whole new level of improved stability as well as fully accurate signal transmission. No matter when or at which point your dog may attempt to break out of the perimeter, the unit will keep them safely within its confines. For safety, this is a benchmark.
It should also be noted that the WIEZ Wireless Dog Fence covers a wider radius than many of the other models on this list. Its control diameter is a total of 1,968 feet, over a third of a mile. Of course, you won’t need to adjust the perimeter anywhere near that widely in normal circumstances. But it’s nice to know that you do have that level of control in case it should ever need to be there to keep your dog safe. Read more about this system on our full Wiez Wireless Dog Fence review page.
- The included collar can fit dogs from 8 to 21 inches and is suitable for dogs of all weight classes ranging from 10 to 110 pounds
- The receiver operates at a voltage of 3.7V. It has been specially designed to emit static electricity without doing damage to your dog’s hair.
- There are two sets of different lengths of conductive posts. You can choose the post that is most appropriate for your individual needs
- Less pricy than some of the other models on this list but not the most affordable for home owners on a strict budget
- Your dog may need a bit of extra obedience training before you can make effective use of this model
- Shipping weight is 14.1 ounces
- Comes with included charger
- LED displays 5 different control radius distances—30 files = 30 meter radius, 60 files = 60 meter radius, 90 files = 90 meter radius, 150 files = 150 meter radius, 300 files = 300 meter radius
PetSafe Basic In-Ground Dog and Cat Fence
As its name implies, this is a classic in-ground fence design. However, it has been enhanced with a few new features that enable it to be placed relatively high on our list of the very best electric dog fences. For one, it comes complete with a special “sound only” training mode that allows young dogs and cats to get used to the idea of staying within bounds. It also contains 4 “static modes” that increase in strength.
You can even purchase a set of additional collars to add more dogs and cats to the system. This gives you unlimited security and safety for all of your pets within the bounds of the perimeter that you decide to set up. Meanwhile, you should also note that the fence itself has been designed to be fully shock and waterproof. It can be submerged in water during a flood or rainstorm without receiving any kind of damage.
- Comes with American-based customer care that is available on a 24/7 basis
- Collar settings are fully customizable
- Battery comes with a power indicator to let you know when it needs to be recharged or replaced
- Comes with 1 included collar but you will need to buy others if you want to add more pets to the system
- As per most of the units on this list, a bit pricy
- Total dimensions are 12 x 4.4 x 6.1 inches
- Shipping weight of product is 5.6 pounds
- Comes with a full warranty of guaranteed quality from the maker
JIEYUAN Wireless Dog Fence Pet Containment System
One of the more interesting models on our list is the new JIEYUAN Wireless Dog Fence Pet Containment System. We say this because this is easily one of the most effective and adaptable systems currently available on the market. If not for its relatively high price tag, it may well have ranked much higher. But for the long list of features that comes with this model, it’s well worth it for a buyer with a bigger budget.
This particular wireless electric dog fence can be used by the owner to create a fully customized boundary in your back yard. You can adjust the precise radius of the area by making use of the adjustable levels. These range from 10 to 900 feet in total extent. As a result, this is one of the models that offer your dog the most freedom, although the limits of their reach are still safely and securely designated.
- Unit is controlled via a wireless fence transmitter you can install in your home
- Collar is shock proof and waterproof
- Comes with full warranty of quality from the maker
- Lots of state of the art features but also a bit on the pricy side
- It may take some time to fully master the adjustable range settings in order to work out the precise size of the area you want your dog to stay within
- Total shipping weight of 1.5 pounds
- Requires 2 Lithium ion batteries, both of which have been included
- 10-900 Levels for signal intensity can be adjusted via the included transmitter
Blingbling Petsfun Electric Wireless Dog Fence
If you have ever desired to turn your back yard into a miniature dog park, the new Blingbling Petsfun Electric Wireless Dog Fence will help you do it. This unit is one of the most commonly available and reasonably affordable units on this list. While not quite the top of the line model, it’s still an eminently worthy system that will give your dog plenty of freedom to roam about while still keeping them safe and secure.
The Blingbling Petsfun Electric Wireless Dog Fence comes with a specially designed water-resistant collar. This collar contains a wireless digital receiver that has been given a top industry rating of IP67. This means that it is safe to wear while your dog frolics in wet grass or in the sprinkler system. You can also use the collar to give them safe warnings when they venture too near the limits of their set boundaries.
- Unit makes use of use of 2.4Ghz technology
- This unit can control up to three dogs at one time
- Collar is set to give shocks at low intensity in order to avoid harming them
- Less pricy than some of the models on this list but still not quite budget-friendly for some buyers
- You’ll need to keep the battery charged to ensure that the unit works at full strength
- Total shipping weight of 1.2 pounds
- 5 adjustable boundary levels, including 30/60/90/150/300 meters
- 1 Lithium ion battery is required (the first one has been included)
Dr. Tiger Electric Dog Fence
The new Dr. Tiger Electric Dog Fence comes complete with a respectable list of features. These include a wireless correctional collar that can be specially adjusted to give your dog the precise level of warning that you feel is right for them. This adjustable collar has been designed to fit dogs 10 pounds and up with neck sizes of up to 25 inches. The unit is also able to keep cats in your zone of protection.
The system is very easy to install. Use the included instructional manual to guarantee the perfect set up. Once up and running, the system uses a set of included nonstandard batteries. These can be recharged to ensure a long life. The system as a whole comes with a full guarantee of warrantied quality direct from Dr. Tiger. Overall, this is a handy budget dog fence system that delivers quite a bit of value for the price.
- Shock collar can be adjusted to your precise favored warning level
- Unit has been specially tested to confirm its waterproof nature
- One of the least pricy models on this list
- Not recommended for dogs who display aggressive behavior
- Be very careful where you place the boundary wire as bad placement can quickly lead to damage (Optimum placements are explained in the included User’s Manual)
- Total shipping weight of 3.7 pounds
- Total product dimensions are 12 x 8 x 2 inches
- 2 Nonstandard Battery batteries required. The first 2 have been included in the package.
Sit Boo-Boo Hidden Dog Fence
One of the best priced new systems on this list is our last candidate, the Sit Boo-Boo Hidden Dog Fence. This system offers a wide range of commendable features, including a recently upgraded copper boundary wire. It also has been redesigned to spotlight a newly improved transmitter whose range of effectiveness has been extended. We should also mention that the life of the included rechargeable battery has been increased.
While this isn’t the fanciest model on our list, the Sit Boo-Boo Hidden Dog Fence is an excellent choice for dog owners on a budget. It’s handy, compact, easy to assemble, and very cost-effective. The fact that the maker has made the effort to redesign and upgrade some of its best features is worth paying respect to. For this reason, we can gladly give it a place on our list of the best electric and wireless fence models. If you’re interested in learning more, head over to our full Sit Boo-Boo Hidden Dog Fence review.
- Wire can be buried or strung overland in a safe and convenient location
- Kit covers up to 5 acres
- One of the most reasonably priced units on this list
- Kit can cover up to 5 acres but multiple collars for additional pets will be required
- Wire does not have to be buried but should not be used to enclose overly aggressive dogs
- Total dimensions are 13.5 x 10.1 x 2.7 inches
- Total weight is 2.76 pounds
- 1 Lithium Polymer battery is required (included within the package)
COVONO Electric Dog Fence
The COVONO Electric Dog Fence Pet Containment System is an ideal unit for both above and below ground placement. It comes with all of the necessary features that make it an excellent model for the experienced user as well as the beginner. The system is covered by a full warranty of quality direct from the maker.
The system has been specially designed to cover an area of up to 3/4 of an acre. It comes with 650 feet of boundary wire. This wire has been made to be thicker and more flexible than previous versions. The system as a whole is expandable to a much larger area with the purchase of additional wire.
One of the best features of this unit is that it will allow you to lay the wire in any shape to keep your dog stay where you desire them to be. This gives you a great deal more flexibility when it comes to choosing the shape and extent of your desired boundary. The system is versatile, reliable, and cost effective.
- Covers up to 3/4 of an acre.
- 650 feet of boundary wire.
- Adjustable, rechargeable, and fully waterproof.
- Supports multiple receivers.
- Covered with a full warranty direct from the maker.
- Recommended for small, medium, and large dogs but not for breeds over 120 pounds.
- Not recommended for overly aggressive dogs.
- 1 Rechargeable and IP66 waterproof receiver with beep/shock.
- Extra thick 0.8mm(20 gauge) 650 feet wire.
- Speed Detection feature that is designed to help prevent dogs from crossing the border.
- Audible and visual wire break alarm on all included transmitter.
Pet Control HQ Dog Containment System
The new Pet Control HQ Dog Containment System is an excellent all-purpose model. This unit has been judged ideal for dog owners who wish to allow their pets a certain amount of flexibility when it comes to their movements. The system is able to provide up to 10 full acres of safe moving space. This feature is sure to please your pet.
The system is a combination of a wireless pet training system and customizable above or below ground wired system. The design will give you peace of mind knowing that your dogs can safely and freely move about but will be easily contained to keep them out of harm’s way. The system has been specially designed to be both shock and waterproof.
The model is designed to be a full dual-zone pet containment system. Since it is both wireless and wired, it contains all of the features associated with both types of models. You will receive 492 feet of 20 gauge dog fence wire for above ground or underground placement. You also receive a full wireless transmission system.
- Excellent for pet owners with large yards and a lot of complex and hard to reach areas.
- System is adaptable to below or above ground placement.
- System gives your dog 10 acres to roam safely around in.
- System is designed to be fully shock and waterproof.
- System is very well priced and long lasting but may be a bit pricy for some budgets.
- Batteries may need to be frequently charged. The system does come with a portable battery recharging unit.
- 12 hour Comfort Collar.
- 492 feet of 20 gauge above-ground or underground dog fence wire.
- Batteries are designed to provide 3 to 7 days of pet containment training.
- Electric shock collars features 10 different warning and training levels.
Invisible Fence Buying Guide: What Should Dog Owners Look For?
When it comes to buying a new electric or wireless containment system, there are a number of factors to consider. First of all, there is, of course, the safety of your dog to keep in mind. This is the main purpose of buying such a system. The safer and more secure you can keep your dog, as well as your family and your neighbors, the more worth it the investment that you will make in a new electric or wireless dog fence.
Always Make Sure to Buy a Top Rated Invisible Fence
One of the very best things that you can do to ensure the quality and safety of your purchase is to make sure that the unit is top rated. You can use online guides, such as the ones found at this site, to see which units have received top marks for security, efficiency, and cost-effectiveness. These guides will keep you up to date on the systems that are getting the best reviews from industry experts and dog owners.
It’s important to keep this in mind at all times because there are a lot of inferior products out there on the market. Some shady outfits will capitalize on the current demand for “invisible” dog fences by quickly throwing together a lot of second rate materials and putting it up for sale on Amazon. For this reason, taking careful notice of online reviews made by experts is becoming more important than ever before.
It should go without saying that the system you end up buying needs to be as safe as possible for your dog. This means that, if you are buying an electric dog fence, the wires need to be able to be buried deep enough for your dog to be unable to dig them up at the risk of getting a nasty shock. If you can hang the wires up in a location that is safe and convenient, all the better for you as well as your dog.
If you are buying a digital wireless fence, you need to be sure that the collar that comes with it is able to be set at several different levels of correction rather than just one. This way, you can gradually reset it to be milder on your dog after they have learned to keep within the bounds you have determined for them. You don’t want your dog getting nasty shocks that may be too much for them to be able to handle.
Another important factor to keep in mind is just how far the radius of the system will be. The more area you can cover with an electric or wireless dog fence, the better. You don’t want to keep your dog cooped up in one little corner of your back yard. This is very unfair to your dog. It’s always best to give them as much space as possible so that they can roam and play freely without causing concern to your neighbors.
Battery Quality & Life
One of the most important considerations is the quality of the batteries that the unit needs. You want to make sure that you are getting good quality batteries and that the system you buy at least comes with an initial set of them. The better the quality of the battery that the system uses, the longer life it will have. One of the surest ways to spot an inferior unit is if it comes with substandard batteries or none at all.
Another reason the batteries need to be good is that you want to be sure that the unit you buy is able to detect any malfunctions or other security risks. If your dog goes off the reservation, you want the warning system to kick in as soon as possible. Not only do you want it to give an effective warning to your dog but you also want to be made aware of it. Only a set of batteries in good shape can give you this alert.
Another factor that will make the deal a better one is the presence of extra features. You want to get as much as you can when you fork over your hard-earned money. This means that if the system offers you plenty of extras, such as additional boundary flags, more wire to set the unit up with, or additional collars to add other pets on to the system with, you’re going to end up getting a better deal for your dollar.
The unit that you buy for your dog needs to be shockproof as well as waterproof. The collar that you buy should be able to be maintained in several different settings. You should start out by keeping the settings as low as possible until your dog gets fully used to wearing a collar of this type. Likewise, the collar should be highly rated by experts. You don’t want your dog to be harmed by a collar that suddenly shorts out.
Likewise, the system that you buy needs to be waterproof. You want your dog to be as safe as possible during the time that you are away from the home or unable to come immediately to their rescue. This means that if your dog gets caught out during a sudden rainstorm, the collar they are wearing needs to be able to withstand the water. This is another matter where it’s a good idea to buy only a top-rated dog fence.
All of the above criteria are essential to keep in mind when deciding to buy an electric or wireless dog fence. If you have any additional questions, comments, or concerns, please feel free to get in touch with us. We are happy to be your trusted source for info.