A mattress topper is a thick layer of padding that is placed right on top of a mattress. People purchase to make their beds more comfortable. They can make a mattress either more firm or softer. Another benefit of a mattress topper is that they can extend the life of a mattress that is beginning to wear out.
Another great thing about mattress toppers is that they come in a lot of various shapes and sizes. They are made from a variety of different materials as well (read all about them here!). When you are looking for a mattress topper, you need to consider what type of sleeper you are, your weight, and how comfortable you want your bed to be.
Benefits of a Mattress Topper
There are quite a few benefits that mattress toppers have. They include:
- Extra Comfort- A mattress topper can provide up to five inches of extra comfort.
- Additional Firmness- Mattress toppers are a cost-effective way to change the firmness of a mattress.
- Prolonging The Life of a Mattress- A mattress topper can add many more years of life to a mattress that has been well used.
- Mattress Toppers Are Good Choice For Couples- There are mattress toppers that can be only put on one side of a bed. That is ideal for couples because their mattress can be firm on one side and not so firm on the other if that is what they prefer.
- They Are Easier to Clean- A mattress topper is a lot easier to clean than a mattress because they can be run through the washing machine.
- Stains and Wear and Tear- Mattress toppers also help safeguard mattresses from stains and wear and tear because they take the impact instead.
- Travel- For people that travel, a mattress topper can easily be rolled up and put in a suitcase to use on a hotel bed, camper bed, or on the bed in a house where the traveler is staying.
- Transfer- Mattress toppers can also easily be transferred from one bed to another.
- Cost- Buying a mattress topper is less expensive than buying a mattress and can extend the life of a mattress so a person has more time before it is absolutely necessary to buy a new mattress.
- Protecting The Warranty- If a mattress gets a stain on it, it can void its warranty. It does not matter if the stain has something to do with the warranty issue. It can still void the warranty.
- Additional Warmth- During the winter months when it is cold, having a mattress topper on a bed will help a person sink further into their mattress. By doing so, they will be more warm and cozy when it is cold outside.
- Waterproof- A lot of mattress toppers are waterproof. This feature can protect expensive mattresses. This type of mattress topper is great for kids that wet the bed.
- Longevity-Mattress toppers last for many years.
Who Could Benefit From a Mattress Topper?
- Couples- As I previously mentioned, mattress toppers are perfect for couples. The reason for this is that couples have different sleep styles and comfort needs. With only a half of the bed having a mattress topper on it, both of them can be comfortable while they sleep.
- People That Overheat While They Are Sleeping- If a person has trouble sleeping due to the fact that they get too hot, they can cure this problem with a cooling mattress topper.
- People That Have Body Aches and Pains- Some people do not sleep comfortably if their mattress is too soft. Other people cannot sleep on a firm mattress. A mattress topper can make a mattress firmer or softer depending on the needs of the person that will be using it.
- People That Have Allergies- There are naturally hypoallergenic mattress toppers like those that are made out of latex or memory foam. They can help alleviate allergies and keep dust mites away.
- People That Are Sleeping on a Sofa Bed- Even though sofa beds save space, they are not very comfortable. They can add padding around the uncomfortable bars of these beds so the people that are sleeping on a sofa bed will not get discomfort from the bars in these beds.
What Kind of Topper Should You Get?
If you want to add cushion to a mattress that is too firm, you will want a topper that is really thick and soft. To help you deal with pain, you should get a high-density memory foam or latex topper that provides additional joint support. If you have a queen or king-size bed, you will need to cut the topper to fit your mattress. That is the easiest to do with foam mattress topper.
When a person uses a mattress topper, they have to keep in mind that they are just a topper. They may help a person feel more comfortable and sturdy in their bed. However, how comfortable still depends on how comfortable and sturdy the mattress under them is.
Mattress toppers are more often than not are worth buying. As previously mentioned, they protect the mattress and make it more comfortable for the people that are sleeping on them. They also help with back or joint pain like fibromyalgia and arthritis by adding some comfort to the mattress. If a couple has a memory foam mattress topper, then their partner’s movements will not disturb them as much while they are sleeping.
Mattress toppers come in a lot of sizes, shapes, and styles. Therefore, when you are in need of one, it will not be hard for you to find one that will meet your needs. Purchasing a mattress topper also gives you more time before you have to buy a new mattress for your bed. Until you cannot put off purchasing a new mattress any longer, you can love having a mattress topper on your bed. Not only will they give you more comfort, they will help you keep your mattress clean. For all of these reasons, mattress toppers will make your bed a place you dream of.